Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Being Distracted

Isn't it funny how little it takes to get us distracted? Not funny "ha ha," but funny "good grief." So about three weeks ago I have a stomach bug for a couple of days, the Lauren gets it, and then Maylee runs a fever for a couple of days. The next thing I know, it's been three weeks and I haven't posted to my blog that I was "absolutely committed" to making happen. I have gone from working out 6 times a week to maybe 4 times in 3 weeks. My diet has gone south. Why? Because I got sick? I guess.

Why is it that bad habits are the default position? Why don't I start having better habits when I get sick? The draw to laziness, sloth and undisciplined life is very strong. Unfortunately it is that way in our walks with God as well. We need to be on guard to the small everyday things that can distract and derail us. We need to commit that we will not let small changes in our routine cause major meltdowns. How? Well, if this were Sunday School, the answer would be: Jesus, Bible, pray. First, let us not minimize the stereotypical answer. We need God more than we realize, we need to pray, we need His word. But what about when it is those disciplines that we so desperately need to get back? Well, we also need each other. We need accountability, friendship--real friends who can pick us up when we fall and kick us when we need it.

Be that kind of friend and recruit your "buddies" to be that kind of friend to you as well.

Later,
Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment